R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Smart break-in system
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 05:07 PM
NitroVein
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mbx4man
This seems a bit much to me. All this expensive equipment and I bet it does nothing to extend the life of that motor or make it run any better. I've broke in and tuned an out of the box bs HPI motor and it ran great. Threw a different head on it, an OS carb, and cut the pullstart nub off and the thing was a beast. I've had an OS .12 and a .15 that could idle a tank of fuel through it if I wanted and with just a blip of the throttle it was flying in my cars. I still have my 15 year old OS RZ that throws my truggy around like a rag doll, and I bought a used motor that was said to need a rebuild but with a couple adjustment blows the tires loose on my buggy and after a tank of fuel I can grab the head and carry the car. Every motor I've bought I broke in the old fashion way and tuned. It just takes patience and small adjustments to make these things run good. All this oil bath break in and expensive break in machines are just too get more money out of you and really don't do much in my opinion.

Just 2 cents guys. 🤷🏻*♂️
I'm not sure what relevance your engines has to the discussion... but most sport oriented engines isn't as tight and hard to break in as a race engine, if that helps.

Originally Posted by Mbx4man
If I watched correctly, did he have to put a special head on it with the temp sensor and warmer built in? If so doesn't that defeat the purpose because I'm sure the factory head will cool differently in the car then will that one standing still. I dunno
It doesn't matter what it is that's cooling the engine on the outside, only the temperature. On the inside and sort of half way down on the engine it's mostly the fuel that's cooling the engine. So that heater and cooling fan isn't out of order.