Thread: reds z8 esc ?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 PM
frewster
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, I got the Z8 today. You can use any of the HobbyStar LCD program boxes as they're also made by ZTW. You just have to use ZTW's Beast Pro software to flash the program box with the Reds firmware and it works fine. They're half the price as the Reds branded boxes.

Build quality is great externally. The housing is all metal and feels solid. I'm a little worried about it using a physical switch rather than a digital button. I've had receiver switches turn off on me in the past. We'll see if it stays on in a crash.

The only bad thing so far is the wires it comes with. They're all 10AWG but the terminals on the ESC itself are sized for 12AWG at most. The wires are simply too big. I soldered two of them on for the battery connector but it was such an ordeal I'm going to get some 12AWG wire to use for the motor. It's like they sourced the wire without even thinking about how big the ESC terminals are. Pretty silly stuff.

Anyways, I haven't wired it up to a motor or driven a servo with it to test the BEC at 7.4V. That'll come later. I did find out that Send It RC is also selling this ESC in the US under Rocket (Surpass Hobbies) branding for much cheaper than the Reds.