R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Stuck front axle, AE 5 Series Vehicles
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by seatstothewind
Installed a 3 gear trans, aluminum hexes, and a few other parts on my SC5M this evening... and I saved the easiest parts for last.... the FT Bearings for the new front axles and hexes. I removed the screw that holds the stock axle in place, and I went to push it out.... and this thing didn't budge. I should note, this car is literally brand new, and only been run for about 5 minutes in a clean, paved, and flat, parking lot, just to make sure everything functioned ok and to see the top speed. I have been building RC cars (this is my 8th or so Team AE kit...) for around 22 years now and I have NEVER run into such a strange issue. It got to the point that I pulled out a punch tool (i have new bearings, and hubs are cheap... but I got fed up and went into "screw it" mode.), and this thing still will not budge. I consulted the manual, and my memory appears to be correct... that the front axles are only held in with the one screw. Just to be safe, I eased out EVERY screw in the entire hub assembly (including the option set screws which I DID install)... and then tried pliers, the punch again... absolutely everything. I cranked on this thing to the point that i'm SHOCKED I didn't break the entire hub. I'm a pretty big guy... and in the end, I ended up just putting the wheel back on and deciding to consult you guys before I go rip my hair out again. I thought maybe I got some thread lock on the axle where it meets the inside bearing... but the axle spins freely, and with the amount of force I exerted, I can't imagine a little threadlock would hold. I have scoured the internet looking for someone who has had this same issue, and I can't seem to find anybody. I didn't even bother trying the left side axle, for fear i'd reach maximum overload and chuck this thing against the wall. IT MAKES NO SENSE. PLEASE, PLEASE have some sage on here who has some old man advice like "you just take witch hazel, rub exactly 3 drops on it, and it will remove itself and apologize." lol
I remember it was a thing to glue the inserts into the 5 series hubs. If you did so, maybe there was some wet glue left when you inserted the axles into the hubs and bonded the bearings to the axle. If this is the case and you only care about the axle, put the assembly into acetone for a day or two and let it rest. Your bearings and hubs will be destroyed in the process, but you should be able to save the axles.
That is only one possibility, of course, and hard to judge from a distance.
If it is only a little thread lock between the bearings and axle, you should be able to get the axle out with a punch, a hammer, and a vice.