R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ball Diff vs Gear Diff
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2019, 12:15 PM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AJH387
I'm such a noob when it comes to ball-diffs and 2wd. I feel like my car runs pretty good but I'm getting a squeal now from my 22 4.0SR when I am in the upper rpms. So I assume that means that the ball diff is out of adjustment or going bad? It took me a bit to feel like I had it set in the first place. I'm half tempted to rebuild with a gear diff, even though the car primarily runs on low-bite dirt track. It can be frustrating.
While I can't imagine racing 2WD cars and trucks on astro or carpet without a gear diff and would not put ball diffs in a 4WD in any condition anymore, low bite and 2WD continues to be the domain of ball diffs. Yes, they can be frustrating at first, but once you get them on point, they will reward you with a smooth and consistent ride. Follow the sticky thread on the top of the forum page and you are on the right track. I found that using ceramic diff balls and either AE or even better Yokomo silicone diff grease help a lot, Tungsten thrust balls are ok. IIRC TLR already grinds the diff rings for you, so that should not be a problem.