R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Windy city rc raceway and hobbies 2.0
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM
KINGZJ
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=metalcrafter;15432313]
Originally Posted by tonyd

Please give the man credit for putting together an absolutely world class facility . As a small business owner,
I can tell you there are many with opinions ,but few with the cash to back them up...
Anyone out there willing to pitch in & save the track ?
I think the amount of money needed to save it is fairly high. I doubt their would be any return on investment. Most tracks are borderline at best to break even. Very few actually earn enough to stay around more than a couple years. Your not going to be rich opening an rc track thats for sure but I do believe you can open one and earn a modest living but the time investment is huge and when you put labor hours into dollars you would find you are working for minimum wage at best. I do not know the formula to keeping a track open. Put things into perspective.

$20 per entry

weekly racers at wcrc maybe 30 on saturday and maybe 30 on sunday so estimate 60 per week

$4000 in just race entries to cover $11000 in rent. To save windy the turnouts would have to have doubled imo.

In my mind I would think you have to count on your race entries covering your rent at a minimum. Then you go into all the other monthly utility bills which in a place like that has to be pretty big. Sure your selling parts but you cant really count on a set dollar amount for sales because the internet has killed hobby shop sales. And from what I have been told you dont really make all that much selling parts unless you move alot of parts which windy never really did from what I could see. Thats why I stick with my original statement of you cant have a nice expensive building for rc racing the money will never even out. Now had windy been able to stay at the original building and been able to work things out with the landlord to actually fix the building I would bet we wouldnt be having this conversation. Windy got to big and to expensive to keep going a real bummer I really enjoyed racing on the carpet again.

Jesse