R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Returning to R/C Racing
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 06:01 AM
mes
Tech Elite

As both of you have already mentioned, things have changed quite a bit in the last couple of years. For your information, TLR is not operated by the Losi family. New brands have emerged and others have turned their focus on previously uncharted water. If you are open to other brands, I'd recommend checking out Yokomo and Xray, too. Xray release an updated kit every year in November, Yokomo usually in April.
Trinity are still going strong when it comes to motors and batteries. There are also many other good stock motors, e.g. Schuur Speed and R1Wurks, and the guys behind Team Orion recently launched the brand Performa Racing, that will release their new stock motors very soon. Everyone of these except Schuur Speed also offers great batteries. As Gens Ace has also been mentioned, their RS line of batteries is very good, but I'd stay away from the older ones.
When it comes to chargers, Junsi's iChargers are the most popular ones I think. Competitive stock racers charge and discharge their batteries at high rates to lower the battery's internal resistance. The iCharger 406 Duo can charge and discharge at up to 40 amps. You may want to check out Ryan Harris' youtube channel for some basic information on battery treatment for stock racing. IIRC he also returned to racing after a several year hiatus, but made the switch from Losi to AE.
For stock racing I'd recommend Hobbywing's XR10 Pro Stock, which is more expensive than their entry level Justock unit. Airtronics radios used to be the same as the ones of their parent company Sanwa, which are still on the market today. Their latest top level transmitter was just released (M17), but if you are looking for a decent less expensive option, its predecessor (M12S) or their mid-price model (MT44) will also do their job. Futaba's latest models are the 7PX-R and 4PM. There are many good servos out there, either by the radio manufacturers or e.g. MKS, PowerHD, HighestRC. Protek is an Amainhobbies brand that offers equipment made by various OEM companies, usually pretty good stuff.
If you need to refill your tool box, I'd suggest MIP or Arrowmax.
I hope my suggestions are helpful to you, have fun!