View Single Post
Old 02-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Matt Piva
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver
Seriously though...
Car bearings:
Keep in mind the cleaning process of your car. Using things like a WD-40 baths and air compressors will push debris into bearings and shorten the life of the bearing. You don't need to be a pro driver to understand this. I've run Losi, Mugen, Kyosho, Xray, and Avid bearings, I destroyed all of them with WD-40 and an air compressor. Later,.. I learned like everyone else eventually does that's BAD. lol. I use a dry brush for the main dirt, a light spray of simple green & with a rag, and a final touch of SC1 so dirt doesn't stick the next time. I avoid blowing wet cleaners and solvents into the bearings when dirt is present. I mostly ran Avid bearings and keep my stock ones as a backup, or run them only on the practice car. Replace as needed, but replacing in sets does help keep track of bearing life in certain parts of the car. For example: if a left rear wheel bearing is gritty and near failure, change both the left and right in a pair. If you do this you should have equal rotational resistance on both sides of the car if that matters to you. Admittedly, and from experience, most my bearing failures are self inflicted due to to improper cleaning.

Clutch bearings:
I run in multiple sets of bearings in during engine break-in, wipe them off, and set them aside for later use. When idling for break-in the excess grease comes out and leaves only whats needed a thin film. I now use the TKO in the race car, and Avid in the practice car.

If this was a 1/10th scale thread, cleaning your bearings and oiling them often might be the ticket. However this is 1/8th scale baby,.. run'em, hard, and have fun, dont spend your life oiling every bearing. This is only my opinion, but it was formed many years ago.

Cheers!
sounds good. I also believe blowing into a bearing isn’t a good idea if one or both seals are on. I usually just take the seals off and let them sit in a medicine bottle of wd to dissolve or break down any grime. Then I put them in a clean bottle separate with white lithium, I really knock the bottle around to get anything still in the bearing out and then I clean them of access oil and clean the seals and move to the next one. I’ve been looking hard for a bearing that would be more free under the way I clean my bearings but I’m sure it’s not going to be much different. Part of this is just wanting to try something new, to see inside a different bearing that’s not a cheapo bearing and see what’s different. The seals probably make a big difference in prices. The tko bearings (like I said) were very different, more balls and should have been better however they were hard to pop seals off(it was my first time) and I think most got damaged. So unless I wanna just run them without seals I doubt they ever see the track again.