R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Eclipse 2 1:12 chassis
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Erhard
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cyclone
Its great to here your positive review of the car right away david. Please let us know what changes you try and if you would like any advice on tuning the setup!

I have attached a slightly large photo I took of the new beam, as the pic above still shows as the old one on my browser.
-Some redundant holes were removed for looks.
-The outer pockets are removed to improve cross-section and also offer a more solid structure.
-The material running to the outer holes (wishbone cross-section) is also strengthened with a new wider profile.
-Because of the loss of max small tire ride height, (because of the loss of the 1mm deep pocket) We have used a 0.5mm lower ball. This means that bolting this on will lose only 0.5mm of height with no change of washers. You can now also use a 3mm hex driver in the top of the balls.

I have not yet seen one get damaged. This is U7476.

Really good to have the new part!
We have had agressive track borders in the recent races we did and the old part wasn't so satisfying in robustness. Therefore I filled the kingpin pocket and laminated three layers of carbon on that side of the whishbone. (Still it can break in extreme rare cases of course, but ....)

The problem now was riding height, especially when using more caster. To solve this, I pressed out and mounted the rear ball mount from the opposite side, which is ultimate low now (-2mm), but a solid whasher should be used, because the ball alone is very little area pressing on the chassis.
I observed this front axis works best with less caster than other designs. The reasons is the very accurate, free of play guide of the hub carriers.
The wheels just wobble some degrees less and this (play) degrees under load are compensated in other axises by more castor/camber.

The camber I normaly just set to get front tyre wear straight. This means the car handles the same with a new tyre from trueing as after some runs.
Also here due to really low play, it needs less camber than other cars.
In my opinion this is key to the front axis driving precision and thus resulting performance the Eclipse 2 has.
It is really easy to drive fast.

Best regards, Erhard

Last edited by Erhard; 02-07-2019 at 10:56 PM.