R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - A CRY FOR HELP (RC tracks Closing)
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 PM
Wildcat1971
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lowspark
I have seen tracks come and go over the years... they are not a profitable business. Most are run by someone with a love for the hobby. I feel very fortunate to live in the Dallas area and have Indy RC World 30 minutes away. We have a good group of racers for off-road racing on Tuesday & Saturdays, and Friday night oval. The owner installed heat and ac in the pit area a couple of years ago.. thank you Tighe. Yes our race fees went up $5 bucks... well worth it.

And how do you make a hobby shop profitable.... can you imagine trying to keep-up with the needs and wants of racers? Is there a new 4.0 kit coming this year? Do you have the turn-buckles for this new kit? Brand X just released the 5.0. You don't have any parts for the 2.0 kit I bought a year ago?? Super-Chrome is making after-market shock towers for my buggy, how come you do not stock these??

Click and order online and you have the parts you need in a couple days. Simple... unfortunately that online store does nothing for your local track.... enough about that...

Indy's hobbyshop has really improved in the last couple of years, the shelves and racks are full of parts for Mugens, Agama, Tekno, Losi & Associated... and by keeping a good supply of parts available... the locals are more apt to buy local and support the shop.

But..., what does the new customer look at when they come in the store?? See that box sitting on the shelf with the shiny red race car on the cover.... see the 50 MPH noted on the box.... see the box next to it with the 60 MPH noted on the box... Yes Traxxas has a big corner of the market, and the hobby-shop caters to it with a large section of wall space covered with Traxxas parts.... it is a big part of the RC business and a hobby shop cannot ignore it.

Another win for Indy, they have a knowledgeable staff that works there... they can help the new person with parts for their Traxxas and they can help the racer whose speed control is acting up... Really a great bunch of guys behind the counter.

Last note... What's in a name?
I am guessing the name 'INDY RC WORLD' is a well known race track as they have a parts trailer they take to races on the west coast and over to the east coast, the run RC Pro, and they have been around for 30 years... but....
What about average Joe customer driving by on the street?? He looks over at an old bowling alley building and see's the name Indy RC World on the front and drives on by as he is heading to the HobbyTown on the other side of town to buy a present for his son's birthday... Indy did get creative during the Christmas holiday and parked a stepside van out by the street with a large 'TRAXXAS' banner on it...

I love racing my toy cars..... and really appreciate having a great track to race at.
I ran the RCpro a few years ago at that indoor bowling ally. My only issue was the year of life I lost to the nitro fumes lol. Indoor nitro is cancer on the lungs lol