R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to Corner Faster?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 08:45 PM
lazyfortress
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by chuck_thehammer
practice,,,
practice,,, not just finger, sight... time frames.. great sight detail for distance comes from PRACTICE... lots of practice.

I have ONE EYE. born that way.
been racing for years... started with real cars ( drag racing then SCCA )...
then amateur motorcycle racing, ( road racing ) ( Mid Ohio Sports Car Course )...( Nelson Ledges Race Way ) both Ohio.
then RC car racing since 1991 ( Indoor Carpet )1/10 and 1/12 scale Pan Car...
1/4 scale RC, banked oval outdoor on blacktop. that;s a 30 pound welded steel tube car running on gasoline. 10 cars on a 350 foot race line.. ( tight quarters ) 50mph real speed.

you talked about car setup.. but provided no information about your knowledge of Driving.. just that you are NEW at RC...

driving is still the Most needed to improve car performance .. and it take years.. and TON's of practice.. its racing.

Remember to have FUN... trying to Hard is NOT GOOD.

NEVER slam the steering wheel to the stop.. first it can brake off the stop.... and most important... it burns off corner speed... ALOT.
do you drive your real car that way ????????????????????
Originally Posted by benstian
If you are 6 laps behind the #1 in a 20 lap race, I dont think I would bother to much with the car setup. Use your time at the track practicing as much as possible as long as your car is pretty decent to drive. Copy a setup for a similar track and practice a lot and have fun or let one of the fastest guys borrow your car and get setup tips from him/her.
@benstian The race was a 5 minute race. 2 races. I came 6th the first race, and 7th the second race. I was 7 laps behind the leader in the second race. I'll be practicing a lot this coming Monday, as I have off of school that day.

@Chuck_thehammer I'm only 16, and I just got my learner's permit lol. I'm still in high school. I only get to practice RC every friday, and that's for like 20 minutes. I only have 1 battery currently.
As for my knowledge of driving, I do a lot of racing simulators (pales in comparison to what you did in real life, drag racing is awesome), and I often get podium. I use a wheel that gives me about 33 pounds of force feedback.

As for RC driving, I've only been driving for a bit more than a year. I started off with a nitro Slash 2WD for bashing, and I just got my RC10B6.1 last month. I've been practicing at the track for a grand total of about 5 times now.

One question before I buy stuff on AMain hobbies: What shock oil would you suggest for my front, along with springs?