R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Brushless motor timing accuracy
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 05:45 AM
billdelong
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post40391914
Originally Posted by benstian
My G3 have a lot of end play both directions. I will try to shim it closer to the sensors. I can feel the rotor "settles" in the middle as it is per now. If I push the rotor closer to the sensor, it will return back again when I release. If I shim the rotor as close to the sensor as possible, it is not centered in the magnetic field anymore... Is that ok, or will it lower the performance and kill the bearing at the pinion side because of the thrust forces?
Thanks
I don't go off of any "feel", I let the analyzer tell me by making very slight adjustments of moving the shims around.. if I go too far in one direction and the 3 phases go farther apart, then I know I'm shimming the rotor in the wrong direction, then I'll double back until I get all 3 phases within 1° of each other, then the shimming process is complete

Most Trinity motors I have tuned tend to have very little gap between the rotor and sensor board, I generally increase the gap, but here is a case with a Novak motor that I recently purchased where the gap was way too big and I had to shim it closer to the sensor board... in this case the end bell was fixed timing which started out at 18°, but by the time I finished shimming the timing jumped up to 20° which made it far more efficient and deliver more power to allow me to gear up an extra tooth

REVIEW: NOVAK NX4-3900KV 4-Pole 540 Motor

Last edited by billdelong; 01-19-2019 at 10:35 AM.