R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - power versus torque at rpm
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Bry195
Tech Master

Originally Posted by waitwhat
I think you will find if you try to make the timing come in after the motor has already got to the peak of the torque curve that your car will feel like it has a two speed transmission on track. You might be able to get it to work better than I could because of how you are able to analyze your data. Even still, on track it will feel like it does something non-linear which might make the car harder to drive. I race off-road, so if something non-linear happens with the throttle it can cause loss of traction or strange jumping characteristics. To get the most linear feeling throttle with timing I looked at my rpm ranges on my telemetry data from a run with a blinky setup that was at the limit. Then I picked my gearing, motor timing and rpm range for my timing. It makes the motor feel like a mod motor, and everything was warm to the touch after a run.

This is one of the downfalls of running on a chassis dyno. You need to analyze the data the car makes on track, and make your adjustments based on how that data changes.

On track you only go from 0 rpms once (or as few times as possible). You are going to have a range of usable rpm based on a gearing choice (which changes any time the layout changes). If timing starts coming in right at the beginning of the rpm range it will arc out very linear power and efficiency numbers. At the top of the rpm range I am running ≈95° of timing.

That is a quote from that 3 part write up on motor/esc timing. If you want the most efficient setup, you need to keep the neutral plane in the right spot through the whole on track rpm range.
thanks for the info. i start by plotting end bell at peak torque and efficiency for lower rpm. Step 2 is to launch boost off of the end bell peak torque. I think there is a picture here for the 215 and I have it for the 17.5 just didnt put it up. I’ll put that blended curve up after I find the optimal mid point based on the thermals that come out of the track for the 17.5. its already here for the 21.5.

But I figured out the ratios sanwa is using so i tried to see how low I could get the torque in the curve. its ludicrous. its a massive bump down low. When I bump it that low it carries it through rpms better than it does if I started the bump later. its something to investigate and interesting. with the power opening up (and efficiency following) its really got me thinking that if i can keep that (5k) notch out of the operating range for areas that need smooth acceleration a major gear change might be in order. On the 215 the standard deviation was like 2250 rpm. If the stuff outside of the standard deviation is in non-important parts of the track centering the power on this crazy curve might be ok.

I was showing off a little when I made that efficiency curve. if you look close you can see how tight the intersects are of a massive change in torque.