R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Dissecting buggies and their performance.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:35 PM
iplaygames
Suspended

Originally Posted by shannow
Well I have a question as well on this... How do you call this C Hub thing on real cars 1:1 scale ?
Not being sarcastic at all but honestly I literally browsed the web for quite some time and absolutely couldn't find a real car with that type of suspension.
They all have ball joints on the arms (one bottom on top arm) whether racing cars, F1, or sedans... a PBS.The only type that comes "closer" are some trucks which have solid axles...
Either I'm not searching the right terms or there's no such things as C hubs on real cars ?!
Ive built c hub style sand rail buggy(offroad 1:1 buggys) front hubs a couple of times... usually its because the buggy wont be doing jumps(chub has limits on down travel) and people request it.. its expensive.. more parts and there has to be something to support the knuckle.

we stopped making them because they used to wear very fast with bushing top and bottom to support the pivot pins. They cannot handle the big offroad stuff long.

it works "ok" in rc because you can get away with plastic hub and a metal bushing wearing the plastic. An example of all of this is kyoshos alloy front hubs. The metal wears the alloy really quick and then knuckle hits it often aswell then theres the hinge pin issue which MR JQ fixed with the grub screws(sorry but he can design a good car)

Rc buggys dont use parts for very long or whole cars are not kept more than a couple of years so its basically a non issue

The two styles handle differently. Mugen has it very refined for PBS and kyosho has the CHUB design really well for performance(wears silly quick though)

pivot balls should almost always handle bumps better due to the all in one design.