Thread: XRAY T4'19 SPEC
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 PM
jkirkwood
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Back from the race.

I was running my freshly built '19 - see above, first new xray since my '17 which had served me well and was a peach to drive.

My first day with the '19 was an absolute disaster, possibly my worst race of the past 20 years. The car was desperately loose, mostly in the sweeper entry and in the chicane.

Layout was tight and technical, except the sweeper (which was not smooth but more of a abrupt entry one, and then smooth). Lo-grip carpet. We run Rex30's and boosted 13.5's. My car was setup as per the stock setup sheet, except the aluminium extra-flex chassis, and 2.5-2.8F. Montech Racer snug with the front bumper. The rest, all stock. Electronics from the previous race, where they did better than fine. I could not get the car to behave, I never found a way to be confortable with the car and "pilot" it, and could only drive very conservatively. Heck, did spin out a couple of times in the sweeper...

Things I've done during the day to no avail, in that order
- tried another set of tires
- glued front sidewalls
- go to 2.7F/2.5R
- go from 450R to 350
- removed the front brace
- toyed around with screws on motor mount
- swapped the alloy chassis to cwf one (yes... I did that during raceday and missed a couple of mains)
- go 5K diff
- heck, even changed motors and speedo setup

Checks I did during the day
- check that I hadn't swapped L/R C-hubs (for caster...)
- changed diffs (in case there was a warped something in there with a missing tooth or whatever)
- detweak after every run (not that it needed it... still do it all the time)
- checked for a binding transmission, it's 100.0% smooth and free
- no fleeing CVD pins
you get the idea.

The car was very very very edgy, I basically had to "endure" it all day and feather the throttle rather than drive it. I'm usually a mid-to-bottom A-mainer with 50/60 or so entries, and this time there were only 29 drivers due to a calendar conflict... and I was bottom of the B, and duking it out with people who usually are two mains below me. I understand I'm getting older and all and the younger guns are getting faster, but the car really really wasn't helping and I was doing one mistake every couple of laps or so, losing the rear all the time. When this is the case, usually it's the tires, but I did pull out 2 sets of Rex30's that day. Statistically, it can't be that.

At this point in time I'm wondering whether I've missed something during the assembly, or whether the nature of the car is to be edgy as hell... I can't believe it's the latter. Xrays are meant to be the RC equivalent of a gucci loafer, ie a confortable car that about works right out of the box with no efforts. Saturday, mine was a POS.

I'll tear it down fully and rebuild it from the ground up. If you have any good suggestions...

Thanks,
Paul
For sure it can be incredibly frustrating to build a new car and have issues on day one. It sounds like you know what to check for. One thing on not on your list is double check and make sure the balls in the shock eyelets rotate freely. If they are not, unscrew the shock eyelet out a half turn and they should free up. Just something else to look for when you are rebuilding the kit. Hopefully, next race day will go much better for you.

I run my T4'19 graphite edition on lower grip CRC Grey ozite carpet with JACO Blue as the spec tire and no glue on the front sidewalls. I have no experience the tires you are on. I was worried that the ultra-low shocks wouldn't be very good on the surface I run on, however, I have found the base setup to be lethargic rather than edgy and I've had to make changes to the setup to add response and steering.

Just wanted to share my experience, best of luck next time out.