Thread: XRAY T4'19 SPEC
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM
grippgoat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Hi,

Which is better? Having all the brass weights in the center (center brass weight and servo mount brass insert by 7075it) or replacing the suspension holders to brass?

Thanks~
Do you know about polar moment of inertia? Having the weight in the middle will have a lower polar moment. Having it more towards the outside of the car will have a higher polar moment. Lower moment will be more reactive, and higher moment will be more lazy. There's also the question of whether you want it more towards the front or the rear. More front tends to be better in higher grip.

The fast guy at my track on the '18 used the 7075it stuff in the cutout under the battery, insert in the servo mount, and maybe the motor mount foot plate. Beyond that, I think he just used flat lead weights up under the steering, and I think one on each side in the rear, behind motor / battery. Any remaining was just flat weight in the middle of the car. He ran a lot of alu / ti screws and protoform Pro-Lite body. He said something about wanting the weight to move around more by not just having it in the middle (basically higher moment of inertia).

IMO suspension mounts are too expensive to do in brass. But I guess they do make the car look cleaner.