R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Carpet Off-road Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 11:13 AM
BigChris in PA
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72
What's the best 2WD Buggy tire combo as far as grip/wear?

Difficult to search when all you find is "sponsored" drivers whoring out their brand ��

Here's my unofficial review, indoor gray ozite (like in the stadium truck video above).

For buggy front, Schumacher Low Profile Cut Staggers on the front in yellow compound is pretty much the standard. At roughly $10 a pair they have great grip, last a reasonable amount of time, and offer predictable handling even when they wear. When you start to "push", replace 'em.

For buggy rear, I have tried Dboots Terrabyte, Schumacher Mini Pins, Pro Line Prizms, J Concepts Pin Downs, and Schumacher Cactus.
  • The dboots Terrabyte B compound work great, and before there was a "carpet tire" this was the go-to. If you have a track where there are a few slick surfaces thrown in like MDF or fiber board, this is where this tire shines. It will handle the slick surfaces well and perform on the carpet. However you can literally wear this tire out in like 3-6 battery packs.
  • The Mini Pins work great on carpet, and for a long time they were/are the standard, wear isn't so good, but better than the dBoots, and as they wear the rear loses its grip and becomes "loose" on gray ozite. They are a solid choice performance wise and they are inexpensive at roughly $12 pair. If you're new to carpet, and guys at your track are running these, definitely give them a shot.
  • The Pin Downs Pink Compound were so last year, they are a good tire with good wear characteristics and will last. I used quite a few of these early last season, and they were hard to get for a while. However the down side of this tire is its very rectangular profile and it's very tall sidewall (when compared to the dBoots, Prizms, and Schumachers). These make for a unique handling characterisitcs, IMO they traction roll easier than some of the other tires. They are completely overpriced at $19 pair, they were $15 a pair last year with foams.
  • The Prizms Z3 compound work well and wear even better, but they are like wet ice on any slick surface (MDF/fiber board) If your track is ALL carpet, then these are a great tire from cost/wear AND performance perspective. If guys are running these at your track, definitely worth a try.
  • The Cactus in yellow, for gray ozite, probably the best I've tried right now, and they are what I am using. They have great wear characteristics, probably the best wear characteristics of all these tires. It might have something to do with the sheer number of "spikes" on the tread. As they wear they fade, but they do so in a polite manner, instead of being loose, they begin to skid slightly under super hard braking. New they offer solid reliable performance and low cost at roughly $12 a pair. They have a low, rounded profile which makes for a great handling tire.
I am not sponsored, and I am a top 5 guy in the B main. All I race is indoor carpet, and I've been at it semi seriously for 4 seasons. These are my unfinished thoughts, experiences and opinions, your mileage may vary..

Last edited by BigChris in PA; 11-07-2018 at 11:36 AM.