R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 01:32 PM
fermanracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
No R/C manufacturer should be above criticism. While we can thank Protoform for stepping up with a VTA tire when HPI couldn't, their product WAS NOT a direct replacement. Now that we've all had enough time to race with this tire, the differences are more obvious. Many of us have shared our experiences using this product and have helped others use this tire more effectively. This is the best thing we can do as RACERS. We can help each other to have more fun with the classes we choose to run.

However, what I want to know is how is USVTA leadership working to improve the issue that some people ARE experiencing with the tires? Are they working with Protorform to change the tire compound to work better on a wider variety of surfaces? Are they working to Protoform to develop recommended tire break-in and tire treatment procedures to get the best performance/life out of the tires? In full scale racing most racing organizations work closely with the tire manufacturers to make sure the racing "show" is the best it can possibly be on the wide variety of circuits that are raced. I honestly don't think it is too much to ask for the USVTA to do the same for us.

What I find most disappointing in this discussion is how dismissive some of the people who I normally respect have been to those who have been struggling with the tires. People aren't upset because they don't like the class, motors, bodies, etc. or because they want to change what the class is. They also aren't complaining just because they are grumpy people in life. They are frustrated because they just can't get the USVTA mandated tire to perform in a consistent manner given their specific track conditions. Their struggles are ruining their enjoyment of the class and affecting the "show" at their track. Criticism is not the same thing as being negative.

I will close this post with some positive things to say about the Protoform VTA tires. They are the only readily available pre-mount option for the class. This helps get new racers into the class who don't have the time or skill to properly mount tires. They also are bit less expensive when you compare them to a set of HPI tires. I've also had a very positive experience using SXT Slime tire conditioner on my new Protoform tires when running indoors on carpet.

There is a lot to enjoy about racing this class. Don't let these discussions prevent joining the class. We are just a passionate group of people who want to make this the best racing experience possible.
Bravo, well said, Rather than be concerned with what the manufacturer want, you should be more focused on what the collective group think will make for better racing as a whole. Less inconsistency will make for more racers not getting frustrated with tire issues and focus on bringing the fun back to class.