R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Maximising engine characteristics.
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 05:06 PM
NitroVein
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
No need to apologize, I am thankful for your advice and have been learning a lot. Please don't take me wrongly.

The little I knew about squish was that the mixture was sent in towards the combustion chamber but now realize it's like a piston shield where the mixture is kept away from the burn front. From this one can assume that you should make the squish band as little as possible maybe even not having any.
About the other stuff, I know that the car is a system and everything has to work right together but yeah I have to start somewhere and it was the difficult stuff first

​​​​​​About software I have been gathering some, I do want to make sure I can understand more about port timings and tuned pipe relation. I have been looking at the free ones for tuned pipes, any that you can recommend?

Again thanks for the heads up you and the others!
The clearance is usually best to have a small as you dare if you're after using all the fuel in the combustion chamber, but you also need to work with other factors, so it might not be possible or any advantage. If you would build an engine that run a constant rpm things would be easy, but with our cars we are at the opposite end of the spectrum pretty much. And if you mean area, then no you absolutely need it for these engines, you need to control the heat and get enough turbulence or the engine will be a dud.
I know that you're familiar with taking several things in to consideration, I've read how you analyze chassis, give it some time and you will probably have a leg up many here.
As far as software, it's kind of difficult... Some uses the old way of thinking, that isn't incorrect, just incomplete. Then you have some new like the one you posted earlier that takes other things in to consideration, but sort of leave all the old good parts behind for some strange reason and also draws some really strange conclusions. And in the end I've not seen any that takes every part in to consideration, old-new-missed parts.
But lets face it, first of it's a tool most of the time so you need to know what you're doing anyhow, and second of you can copy just timing numbers from another engine and have success. Trial and error still works and if you don't intend to make pipes yourself you need to work with what you got!