R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Maximising engine characteristics.
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 12:20 PM
30Tooth
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroVein
I see, well the mixture burns a lot faster, most of it at least. That's what the turbulens from the squish helps with, and also what you have to trade with, as any fuel mixture trapped in the squish area wont burn or burn to late to be able and apply any force, and without out squish it burns to slow. Take your pick.

Finding a optimum engine for your track is a good idea, as it's pretty much a matter of how efficiently you can apply the energy from the fuel to the track surface. If you don't have enough power the engine will struggle, and if you have too much it will waste it. So everything from the tires, chassi setup, drive line efficiency, clutch, servo setup etc will be something to have in mind. Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but it's worth mentioning as you can focus too much on the small pieces and forget how it all needs to come together.

Then the whole engine is full of trade offs, it doesn't matter if you make one part 100% theoretically efficient if you loose more at another place in reality. As long as you're not trying to make the most power for instance, then you have a lot of different ways to skin the cat in order to reach your goal.
For sake of argument it's never wrong to discuss each part individually and everyone has to start somewhere, but when you see even so called experienced engine modders thinking it's something special to look at at-least all the basic parameters as a whole picture... be better then that or get a good software to help you!

Sorry for the rant, but I really am trying to give you some good advice.
No need to apologize, I am thankful for your advice and have been learning a lot. Please don't take me wrongly.

The little I knew about squish was that the mixture was sent in towards the combustion chamber but now realize it's like a piston shield where the mixture is kept away from the burn front. From this one can assume that you should make the squish band as little as possible maybe even not having any.
About the other stuff, I know that the car is a system and everything has to work right together but yeah I have to start somewhere and it was the difficult stuff first

​​​​​​About software I have been gathering some, I do want to make sure I can understand more about port timings and tuned pipe relation. I have been looking at the free ones for tuned pipes, any that you can recommend?

Again thanks for the heads up you and the others!