R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Maximising engine characteristics.
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 08:54 AM
NitroVein
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
6.35m/s is the average at that rpm I calculated. Provided it burns until the exhaust port started to open,which I don't know if that happens . At this point I don't have any data that points where it stops burning but we know the average of fuel spent each cycle, from there we calculate how much fuel it has and how much air it needs I think.

I don't have an objective set in stone, if I can tune the engine to be effective at the tracks I race the better. I want an advantage by knowing what are the conditions the engine works at its best. This is the intention of this thread, to find out what is going on and have more understanding about it.

For a start I know that the engine performs the best when it's in tune with the pipe so knowing more about them and making the best of both in varying conditions would be a good thing.
I see, well the mixture burns a lot faster, most of it at least. That's what the turbulens from the squish helps with, and also what you have to trade with, as any fuel mixture trapped in the squish area wont burn or burn to late to be able and apply any force, and without out squish it burns to slow. Take your pick.

Finding a optimum engine for your track is a good idea, as it's pretty much a matter of how efficiently you can apply the energy from the fuel to the track surface. If you don't have enough power the engine will struggle, and if you have too much it will waste it. So everything from the tires, chassi setup, drive line efficiency, clutch, servo setup etc will be something to have in mind. Maybe not the answer you're looking for, but it's worth mentioning as you can focus too much on the small pieces and forget how it all needs to come together.

Then the whole engine is full of trade offs, it doesn't matter if you make one part 100% theoretically efficient if you loose more at another place in reality. As long as you're not trying to make the most power for instance, then you have a lot of different ways to skin the cat in order to reach your goal.
For sake of argument it's never wrong to discuss each part individually and everyone has to start somewhere, but when you see even so called experienced engine modders thinking it's something special to look at at-least all the basic parameters as a whole picture... be better then that or get a good software to help you!

Sorry for the rant, but I really am trying to give you some good advice.