R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Touring car newb - need to replace TC4
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2018, 07:21 AM
Nerobro
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It is in stock at TQ though. https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/prod...asp?p_id=13689

The cheap touring cars all have concessions to price in them. They also, all have better ground clearance and lower CG than the TC4 you're coming from.

I have eight or ten packs on my Sakura XI Sport Ver.NU. And I can conclusively say, that I like it. The fact you can get parts from multiple sources is a really nice thing too. The Ver.NU comes with swaybars.

The Express XQ1s is a good option too. It's a better kit. But to get the better kit, they had to cut some corners. Plastic shock bodies, significantly less adjust-ability. Fewer places to get parts that don't start with Dinball.com. It also doesn't come with swaybars. The fact it comes with the tools you need, both "actual tools" and setup tools, is a big bonus in my book.

Make your choice based on the ability to get parts, I think. The cars are very, very, similar.

You may also consider the Ghost18. The VBC Ghost18 is $200, and shows it. It's got metal bulkheads, and many more places to mount the inner suspension upper links. If you know a car out there has a geometry you like, there's a better chance you can make it happen with the Ghost18. What you gain in chassis "quality" you lose in the manual. The Ghost18 manual is pretty terrible.

You might also consider the Tamiya TA07. It's in the $200 class. And it will have the best parts availablity, period. It uses tamiyas TRF dangly bits (knuckles, arms, etc..) so no matter what you break, it's likely someone at the track is a tamiya nut, and has those parts. It has metal body shocks. But by the time you have something you really want to drive, it may be a $3-400 all told setup. (I know mine is...)