R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - VBC Ghost18
Thread: VBC Ghost18
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 04:37 AM
JJ100179
Tech Adept

Default confusion about rear supension

Last weekend, before another run with my G18, I have checked suspension and shocks. Doing so, I came upon something I didn't realize in the past:
During checking ride height, I have discovered that the rear dampers are fully extended wehen car is race ready (they are not noticeable compressed by car weight). On the contrary, front dampers are compressed to some extend, even with stiffer springs than oput of the box. I have installed stiffer types sometimes ago to get more grip in the rear. Was wondering if the car is really that front-heavy and if that an expanation for the continually missin grear grip. I was looking for some softer springs for the rear shocks, but according to my research, the softest type available is already installed.

Next step was dismounting and checking rear shocks. Didn't find anything bad, so I reinstalled them. I have mentioned during this process, that suspension has to be raised some mm in order to attach shock to lower ball head. Ball heads were fixed in outer posiiton of rear as per manual. Was wondering if this can be that good, in other words if shocks are limiting downward travel and not chassis or the droop screws?
Switching lower rear balls to inner fixing points does not seem to fix anything for better performance. It raised the right height to an unacceptable value which cannot be balanced by reducing spring load. But the new, more steeper, shock position seems to soften things up and I finally get some precompression for the shocks. Nonetheless I was curious and tried the car as it was (approx. 7,5mm ride height rear, approx. 5mm in the front). Result was, as expected, disappointing. Car was extremly nervous and had nearly no grip in the rear.
As a result I need a plan, which can be as follows:

- Switch lower rear ball head back to outer position
- Get some new and longer (approx. 4-5mm) shocks to replace the too-short original types.
- Try to adjust the new shocks with suitable springs to get some precompression and correct ride height

Before I realize this, I would like to ask if someones G18 has similar problems or characteristics as mine. Maybe I have overseen something or loose orientation in the setup?

Thanks in advance!

Michael