R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Mini-Z Series
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 07:03 AM
Billy Kelly
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EMU
Box stock racing is so good. If these do have a disc damper, that will really help the out of box performance. Now only the MM2 and LM come standard with one. Then it's just bearings, t-plate nuts and tires to get a race ready stock car. We permit those upgrades for durability.

these cars do not need to be upgraded heavily like people do to perform. The biggest thing holding them back currently is the proprietary electronics. When people go to a track and ask what the cost of entry it's, and are told $200 for the rtr, then $250-350 for a radio and replacement electronics, it's a quick turn around out the door. With the option to use a radio that you may already have, or can use with other scales, it's a game changer.

My custom chassis uses a sanwa receiver, PN esc and servo controller. It's not a plug and play setup. Getting a plug and play way to do it in an mr03, means that all they really need to do now is convert the power source to lithium and develop slower motors for that power source. Many racers from other scales don't want to deal with nimh. Lithium is so much more consistent performance, but the current motors are simply too fast. We need a 2300kv motor.
Until last year. The local Hobbytown held MiniZ racing every Friday for about 7 years. Then the turnout just got to small to justify the space. All the regulars had well over $500 plus invested in their cars. And some with multiple. It and being really close bad at driving them kept me away. Till this year.

Decided to give another try, my own basement mini96 track. And I’m now decent with stock. But last year they had no others running stock. Now few seem interested. The group wants it. So will see

I did recently buy one of the Competitors. 1s with brushed.