R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - VRP pistons
Thread: VRP pistons
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Jwilliams5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Well I have found that the 8 hole pistons aren’t really necessary on the east coast as we don’t have tracks that are totally blown out. I generally use the 6 hole pistons on either buggy or truggy. The buggy using medium pack or light pack if your car is dropped to the minimum weight limit. The truggy I would use a high pack piston to cope with the extra weight. I personally prefer to order the standard 1.3mm piston setups in whichever pack would suit each car. Then drill the 4 exposed holes to 1.5-1.6mm. As this lightens the feel of the piston allowing you to use a bit thicker oil. The working theory behind this is the thicker fluid will actuate the CFV or Carbon Flex Valve at a much more consistent rate than the thinner fluids. I like to refer to the CFV as “speed sensitive dampening”. When you say it like this, it’s suddenly a bit easier to wrap your head around the “how”, and “why” these pistons are working. My MBX7R ran 1.3/1.6 6 hole MP pistons, and my MBX7TR ran 1.3/1.6 6 hole HP pistons. Both with standard rebound valves. The hard rebound valves excell on smooth tracks. Depending on track temps I usually run 35/30 front/rear. If you need anything more specific feel free to ask away! I am here to help with the VRP pistons in any way possible. Or anything else for that matter.