R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Basic question regarding compatibility
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 09:14 AM
HelsRike
Tech Rookie

Default Basic question regarding compatibility

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the whole RC-hobby thing and I'm looking for some very basic info regarding transmitters and receivers. I've got models from Traxxas only (E-Revo 2.0, Unlimited Desert Racer arrives tomorrow/day after, and a Summit).

If I want a "real" or universal transmitter, would I need to get a new receiver for each of these models? I've tried looking for compatibility but it looks mostly like gibberish to me.

I realise some functions might be missing if I don't change the receiver, but in general, would they pair up? Would I be able to access any of the features one would by using Traxxas' own expanded system? Is there a specific model that is compatible with Traxxas' system?

Still, I went with Traxxas as it's easy to use, but I also know that I, in return, become a part of their ecosystem. Like Apple's iOS. But I digress...

Either way, I'm all in, so money isn't a primary concern, I just feel like it'd be a hassle changing every receiver, current and future ones.

(I'm looking to get a high quality transmitter from the get-go. I got a cheaper Slash-version when I started with this hobby, and I regret it very much, should have gone with something of more quality. (I'm getting in to RC for other reasons than most, I assume. I have medical issues, bad short term memory, and I'm a bit shaky with my hands. I'm also just not very great at the whole mechanics-thing. The theory-part I know, the applied-part I do not. I also love racing games and cars, so I like driving too :P Anyway, I'll get to practice all those things with this hobby.)