R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Build Complete: HPI Nitro RS4 3 Evo+
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM
fyrstormer
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's been a long time since I did anything to this car. I had previously installed a MT2 slipper clutch with a Robinson Racing hardened steel spur, as well as a Robinson Racing hardened steel clutch bell, to help it handle grit and gravel better, but it's been a long time since I had a chance to drive it on gravel.

I hadn't driven it very much in the past year, because on pavement it was annoying to listen to the engine forced to spin at high RPM whenever the vehicle was coasting, so I took some parts from an OFNA 2-speed transmission and built a single-speed transmission with a one-way bearing for this car.

Now it only makes a lot of noise when it's actually accelerating; when it's coasting or braking the engine can drop to idle and quiet-down a bit.

I also finally got around to installing adjustable turnbuckles on this car. I didn't consider it worthwhile back when I drove it on gravel, but driving it on pavement was causing the tires to wear unevenly without proper camber adjustment. In particular, changing the geometry in the rear lets the wheels stay more vertical when the chassis leans due to its taller, softer suspension.