R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB 05 Pro
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Vta Steve1
Tech Initiate

I've been reading about what everyone has said about the TB05 Pro. I ordered one and it should be here by the end of the month. I currently have a TB04 Pro II that I have been racing. I raced it in GT3, then GT2 at one of the regional Tamiya races (with a 21.5T motor) and for the past two seasons in VTA at the local track during outdoor on road season. It is a stable car that is easy to drive. I've not had any difficulties with stripping gears; however, I'm running 21.5T or 25.5 T motors with gear ratios between 3.75-4.00. I shimmed the diffs per the instructions and have not had problems with the car. In the rear diff, I use a light coating of Cow RC grease, and the front diff has 3Racing Ultra High Viscosity Gear Diff Oil. I've been able to hold my own racing VTA, and have been improving as I race more (and practice using the simulator).

The big problems that I have had with the TB04 are that it is heavy, there are just too many moving parts in the drive train that lead to excess drag, and that the gear mesh is a pain to get just right when using the gears I'm using (50T pinion, 81T spur, 64P. It is not possible to see the gear mesh through the removal of the pinion gear guard because the spur gear sits so far back behind what is visible). I'm hoping the new one will have these issues improved.

I was curious to see what was similar to my current car and the new one. I found a copy of the manual, and made a parts comparison based upon both manuals. I'm sure I probably missed something in my comparison, but it should give you the gist of what is similar. I needed something to do - raining too hard here!
Attached Files