R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray T1FK05
Thread: Xray T1FK05
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 08:24 AM
LzREngineering
Tech Regular

Thought I might as well share this here, just in case anyone out there is still running the FK-05 or has one which they would like to put to good use:

Here's my updated chassis design for the fk-05 which ive been running for the last few months. I'd say im an intermediate level driver and the car is more than keeping up with other drivers at my level, with at least a 1 second per lap improvement on the original chassis on average. The update has allowed me to move a lot of ballast around to get the car perfectly balanced whilst still being dead on the weight limit.

Features:
- turned layshaft around so motor is more central, spur gear now on r/h side.
- batteries moved outboard - perfect for modern lightweight lcg lipo packs
- more even flex in chassis
- steeing bellcrank moved rearwards by approx 5mm for a more modern steering geometry
- 2mm carbon fibre allows more flex but the vertical stiffeners can still be fitted in the central position if required.

Extra Parts Required:
- Motor mount from T4 2013 (or similar) (Xray #303035-O) - I had to drill an extra hole in the underside to mount it to chassis as opposed to bulkhead.
- Belt Tensioner (Xray #303071) mounts just in front of motor mount on lower deck, to guide belt over mount.
- Battery holder (i used Xray #306188 but any designed for the T4 should work)
- Extra pair of servo mounts (Xray #306200) - add a countersunk screw & threadlock, use as battery backstops
- Transponder mount x2 (Xray #306400) - used as a battery clamp but there are better solutions out there.

Other parts I used:
- the 0.75mm offset suspension holders (xray #302041)
- front shock tower + upper links from evo2 FOC, plus a chopped down body post as a central body support. (lowers front roll centre)
- 6 degree caster blocks (use with front anti dive to give total caster of about 4.7 deg)
- drilled 2 extra inner holes for shocks in rear tower
- all lower chassis screws replaced with stainless steel torx head, most upper screws are cheap chinese Titanium.

If anyone would like the CAD files to make their own conversion let me know