Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Krio
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

Originally Posted by donnie_p
I am in process of learning on setting up my car and i have this question
Hope someone is willing to share their knowledge

The default setting for rear hub insert is “0”
What is the effect if i change the insert to “1”, “2” or “3”?
Will a higher position of rear hub change the rear grip characteristic?
Thanks for sharing
The primary reason to use that adjustment is to keep the arms/CVA bone/turnbuckles at the same angle to the ground while lowering the ride height of the car. 0 is the most common setting for dirt tracks or really rough astro tracks where you set the ride height of the car around 20-23mm. As the track gets smoother and higher traction, lower ride heights like 15-18 are used. Instead of just adjusting the springs on the shocks to lower the ride height, it is better to use the axles to make the adjustment.

When you just use the springs, the arms/CVAturnbuckles end up sloping from the hub down to the chassis, which really alters the roll center and camber gain characteristics. Instead, to lower the car from a rough offroad track to a smooth carpet one you would use the #3 pill, flip the rear hub link insert to lower the upper ball stud in the hub, and add the +3 pill to the differential. Those three things (hub insert, adjusting the ball stud on the hub, and moving the diff up) will keep the geometry the same while lowering the car. In the front, you'll want to play with the adjustment shims built into the hub carriers to match.