R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2005, 07:14 PM
imjonah
Tech Addict

Default setting gear mesh 64 pitch 128spur

I am having a real problem lately setting the gear mesh accurately since I switched to 128tooth spur 64 pitch pinions It seems like I am geting the squealing sound even when I think I am not setting it too tight. I am also starting to put lots of wear on the spur. I have been using a pinion that has a slighly beveled edge on it.
It seems like the pinion and spur might be meeting at a slight angle. (The wear is much greater on one edge than another) Since there is no obvious way to adjust that angle
(the plane the rotate in) In other words the shaft of the motor is not perfectly parralel to the shaft of the spur.

Has anyone else come across this problem.
-----------------------------
I tried the paper trick to set the mesh and it still squeels.
With the 48 pitch gears you could kind of eyeball it. You could rock the one gear back and forth and see if there was just a tin bit of play.

--------------------------
also I am using a spool for the first time. In the first heat today the pinion gear actually came off the shaft even though I am certain I had tightened it(it has two set screws and both were tight) is this just evidence for the extra strain the spool puts on the drive train?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by imjonah; 04-17-2005 at 07:32 PM.