R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team ORCA USA Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 07:50 AM
jdawg81
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
I haven't run a track that size but I can maybe lend some info..

On the endbell between 44-46.5 degrees is usually peak efficient and runs strong and keeps cool. Seems anything above that the motor heats up much to quick. Indoors I usually run a 4.4 FDR with a strong running car, Start with a 4.2-4.3 FDR for that outdoor track and run the alum screws for some nice rpm gains. See where it stands and go gear from there sir.
Originally Posted by tboned_2002
I just ran TCS on about at 90' straight running 3.9 FDR so maybe try 4.1-4.5 and temp around 150 or so.
Thanks, I first tried 4.3 at 47° timing but since it was the first qualifier on the first race day I didn't have anything to compare to. Next round I tried 4.0 at 50° and was able to set a new TQ but the motor was coming off at around 170-175°F. It was also a hot sunny day so not sure if that contributed to the higher motor temps. For round 3, I went back to 4.3 at 50° and it was a bit slower but motor temps were also lower.

At the next club race I experimented a bit more with the information you guys provided. I started the day at 4.0 at 50° and had TQ after round 1. Motor temps were also lower around 160°F but it was also cooler that day. For next round I lowered the timing to about 45-46° and geared at 4.0. I did not set a new TQ but was still able to stay in the lead the whole race. For round 3, I tried 3.8 and left the timing alone. I was on pace to set a new TQ but ran into some traffic which dropped me back a bit. Motor temp was around 140-150°F too so I decided to leave the gearing as it is going into the mains. The only thing I have noticed is that on the 180 ft straight, the cars with R1 motors have more RPM and will close the gap on me by the end of the straight. Maybe next time I'll try going up a few teeth on the pinion to 3.7 or 3.6 as this is getting closer to what I had my TSR motor geared at.