R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - setting boost and turbo?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2018, 03:44 AM
dvaid852456
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
I tend to use (R1 ESC and motor). That said, a lot of the drivers here in Japan use various ESCs but run R1 motors and have not problems with this setup I've posted. However, every ESC and motor combination will differ with heat and performance.

For example, Yokomo's ESC motor setup at this years Japanese 13.5 nationals was generating around 3.5 amps (motor checker) and around 85~90 degrees Celsius after 5 minutes.

R1 Wurks 13.5 V7 was running around 2.1 amps (motor checker) and was coming off around 65~75 degrees Celsius. In addition, the motor posted the fastest lap, best TQ run, and straightaway speed.

So, for everyone to understand every motor and ESC setup will differ.
When I raced 13.5 boosted I set my ESC to 40 timing and 24 boost, geared at 6.1 FDR and set motor timing by temp, turning it up until I hit around 70C. I then went up or down a pinion depending on the track.

After buying a motor checker I checked the 3 motors I had tuned on the track and each one was between 1.7-1.9 amps.

I came to the conclusion that setting the motor to draw 2A would be a good starting point and this seems to tie in with your findings.