R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2005 Reedy Race-3700's not allowed in Open Mod
Old 04-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Rick Hohwart
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mtveten
If I understood the original post correctly the race officials had decided to allow the prototype brushless but not allow the production GP3700 batts for the open class. In the invite class it sounds like both the GP and prototype esc/motors will be allowed.

Mark
Here is the problem. And we can all slam IFMAR and ROAR about outdated rules blah blah blah. But all Reedy or Tamiya has to do is say the race follows ROAR rules, and be done with it.

When you allow one thing and start creating a new rules package specific to one event, you run into problems like we are facing with this race.

Invitational class has always run under its own rules. This goes back to the off road event in the 80s when 7-cells were legal but because of interntaion/IFMAR rules and norms, only 6-cells were allowed.

Batteries: 3700s are not ROAR legal so not allowed in Open. They are IFMAR legal so allowed in invitational. It gets confusing when you try to combine two rules packages.

Motors: Brushless are ROAR legal but individual systems must still be ROAR approved. But there doesn't seem to be any rules regarding this.

"Any IFMAR/ROAR specification motor may be used. For 2005 the use of brushless technology will be permitted. Brushless motors must meet the specifications outlined by ROAR"

The rules do not state it must be approved, just that it meets specifications. As far as I can tell this opens the door to hybrid/prototype brushed motors as well as prototype brushless motors.

But I don't get a racer confirmation letter so do not know more about rules specifics, only what I see on the website.