R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Understanding F1 Tuning: Let’s break it down
Old 05-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

For Norcal Hobbies' long straight, start with 20% drag brake. Increase as needed, but keep in mind the stronger the drag brake, it will increase the pushbrake force as well. Drag/brake force is dependent on motor but I always ran around 30% drag at Norcal. Kept brake force at 100% on ESC but set EPA down to 65-70%. Basically enough that I could stab the brakes and it won't lock up the rear. The fancy ESCs will allow you to have a separate profile for braking frequency. This will let you smooth out the push brake even more. Neat trick you can do is dial in more drag brake on the driver stand by putting more throttle trim on the brake side.

The biggest mistake I see in F1 for newcomers is most of them do not use any drag brake. You set your car up to understeer/push and use drag brake to be less dependent on push brake, and you will have a very easy to drive F1. If you're more skilled with push brake, setup the car for more oversteer, and back off on the drag brake. I will say I have no problems being quick at norcal by using heavy drag brake. If you could modulate the brakes and be more consistent than a drag brake setup, more power to ya.

BTW, go beat Jaime. Hahaha