R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Handout motors
Thread: Handout motors
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 09:48 PM
SWTour
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default rpm vs power

Had a rpm limiter discussion years ago when LRP claimed to have one built in for sporstsman mode.

Recently had a similar conversation over a rpm limiting chip available.

My question during both conversations is... does RPM outweigh POWER?

If I have a motor that produces 120 watts at 10,000 rpm and a motor that produces 135 watts at 10,000 rpm, will they go the same speed ( I say NO ) - Just a new can of fish food.

Originally Posted by oldrcr
So, what if any or all ESC manufacturers have an RPM limiter built into the ESC or we use an external RPM limiting device? Something that does not allow a motor to turn RPM's past a logical limit that can be determined with a little data collected. If that was tied with an FDR limit, using the method that was mentioned as being under development, it would allow for any motor to be used since it will have a max RPM it could turn. Could torque then come into play, yes, in fact that would be a good bonus. Drivers would have to learn how to control their throttle finger enough to prevent over use of that torque, but at a set top speed that wouldn't create as much damage as in Mod class. This would train drivers for what it would take to handle driving Mod in the future, if they so desired to, but at less cost in damaged cars while learning that skill.

The other side effect will be that battery voltage will not play a part, since unless you dump your battery, the RPM is set to something the motor can produce at 7.4v, so even when a battery is at 8.4v, the motor will still only turn out the preset RPM.

FDR's can be adjusted based on the track. A little basic decision making by a track owner or club about what it should be, tight short tracks or long sweeping layout can determine what you decide is right. But once that FDR is set, unless a totally bad choice, leave it for that layout.

This seems like a win/win for all. Manufacturers can still work towards producing motors with better torque curves, or lower weight, or whatever else they want to go for, hell nicer color schemes, etc. Racers get to have close competition without all the extra money spent on batteries and motors of the week.

There are a couple option already in existence, one an ESC that Scorpion sells. It has three RPM choices. Another is a small device that goes between your ESC and motor sensor wire to limit RPM. Again it has 3 or 4 settings. G-force makes those. I know that the Scorpion ESC is already in use in Europe for spec F-1. I am sure any of the ESC manufacturers can do the same. With everything else they are programming into ESC's, you'd think the'd be ashamed if they said they could not do this simple thing.

For me, I would opt for a simple device that can be given out at any event that plugs in between your existing ESC and motor as the way to do it. That device is cheap, the G-force sells for $20., its small, and would allow racers to use any equipment they have already. Instead of making an adjustable version though, a simple, one RPM only version should be made. It would likely be even smaller, and should be sealed in such a way that it would be tamper proof. If one looks suspect, its cheap and easy to just change it out.

I also think that if you have new comers to the sport seeing that they have a chance, since all the cars are closer in speed, they are more likely to continue. If they have to throw a lot of money at the fastest motor this week, but find they still can't compete by doing that, they will disappear. If they can see light at the end of the tunnel, with the power not being the determining factor, they are more likely to try build their skill and keep racing. Its something most would prefer to do. Usually when something is enjoyable, most want to do it and then our numbers racing increase.

Have fun with close competition thats all about chassis set-up and driving skill. Oh wait, those are the main reasons why I race, and to be with friends that can smile together because they had good head to head competition and be able to bench race over a beer afterwards.

Maybe ROAR and other sanctioning bodies can go back to helping us by insuring our race programs from liability, and putting on events that more will want to attend.

I have been racing competitively for almost 50 years, 1/87th scale all the way to 1/1, just my 2 cents, for what its worth.

-Alex
:-)