R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Breaking In BRUSHED Motor (Wet Or Dry)?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 04:00 PM
ModeratedUser30082018
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Adamska27
Actually depending on the sealed motor involved an hour could be correct, especially if you're not water dipping it and you're on low voltage and especially tamiya style sealed cans like to wear the brushes down a lot.

See, the brush is mounted to a spring style arm, so the longer you break it in on a motor like that, the less spring tension you get. I don't recommend wearing the brushes down that far on a 12T titan, but I would do that to a Tamiya kit motor (eurotruck or tt02 style). The reasoning for that is on a mabuchi style motor there is just plain no torque regardless, so you need all the rpm you can get, the titan 12T obviously is a whole different animal on that front.

So, yes, there is a very good, physics based reason to break in a sealed motor for a long time. I spent the late 90's and early 00's working with these things on fantom dynos.

No one pay any attention to "korokoro" - he obviously has no experience in this matter or has absolutely no scientific method to his racing program
Wet at half voltage for at least an hour
I obviously have no experience in this matter. Or no scientific method? HAHAHAHA
The purpose of breaking in is to seat the brushes (they are already come radiused from the sintering process) If you think a wet break in for an hour is correct, then you've been doing it wrong for the last 20 years. Ever wondered why you had such poor brush life?
Besides, who breaks in a motor at full voltage? Haha it goes without saying.

I dont care if you believe me or not. Doesnt change the fact that you're wrong.