R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Tamiya MF01 X Chassis Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM
MaxxGabriel
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I built this for a friend as her first RC...but it was too nice. So I built a stock one for her with the same wheels and tires and kept this one for myself. We take them out driving a few nights a week, mostly pavement with a little light offroad driving.

This one has a lot of upgrades going on.
Yeah Racing long travel suspension kit
yeah racing TC shocks with stock springs
tamiya alum driveshaft and servo mount, servo horn
carbon fiber rear shock tower
front magnet mounts
rc4wd 1.55 wheels and tires
locked front gears
heavy duty rear gears
printed body mount braces
45t motor, waterproof 200oz servo, wp esc
led strips in the body for night driving

My opinons -
Tamiya should stop being such cheapskates with their kits. No bearings, too much plastic, philips screws. Its pretty ridiculous.
I love this truck. Its fun to drive and a great truck for light duty trails. So far it has broken nothing over many many hours of driving. And I think it looks great, much better in person.
The yeah racing kit is excellent. It comes with a ton of stuff. Full set of arms, turnbuckles, cvds, and more. It is a very noticeable difference from stock. Relatively easy install. Removes all the slop.
The YR shocks are super smooth, and feel very high quality. No leaking, no problems. The springs they come with are too hard, but the stock springs fit and work perfectly. Huge difference in handling, no more bouncing.
Tires and wheels look perfect. Had to cut the body a bit to get them to work. But they are not good for any type of surface really and they dramatically raise the center of gravity. It handles more like a real suv does, lots of roll. The tires are not particularly grippy on any surface I have tried. And they are skinny. The stock tires look stupid though.