R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cold weather brake in( good or bad)
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2018, 03:30 PM
1mtx1
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
i break just about all my motors in over the winter.. im in Wisconsin so it gets pretty cold at times. i run a handful of tanks on the starter box really rich with head heater on it. let cool in-between. when its semi warm enough i will drive it outside when there is no snow on the road. head heater on and still rich or wrap head with aluminum foil. ( 10-16 layers ) to keep it warm after pre-heated. i get 8-10 gallons on my engines all the time. just re-tune as needed when you hit the tracks
I think based on where you live you have no other option to do it the way you do. I seam to come in to money in the winter months an thats where i can go an get a new rc or a new motor . I cant let my new toy sit for weeks or months no way lol..

I do it like you with a few different things added or taken away do to my budget. I never ever brake in a motor letting it idle but tbh i doubt that would play a huge roll if i do brake a motor in the winter vs spring or a summer month..

I could be wrong, maybe instead of my 5 tank method i should be doing 10 or wrap a sock on the cooling head or tinfoil . I can only go by what i have dealt with an i just cant imagine the pinch changing so much over a few months . Now just cause ive done a cold weather brake in, user error now effects everything i think is said to be true.. thanks everyone so far