R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Windy City RC Raceway & Hobbies
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikel33
I don't entirely disagree with IKE's post above - but how do you put the cat back in the bag? If Michael Larson was emperor of RC it would be 1/12 stock, 1/12 mod, vta, stock TC and mod TC. But I'm not emperor so that doesn't matter.

I think we also have to look at things beyond wcrc. We had 500 entries at the indoor champs last Thanksgiving. 60 usgt, 30+vta, I want to say 50 or 60 F1 and 40 wgtr. That approx 180 of the 500 entries and a reason why we can hold it in a big nice hotel and one reason why I don't necessarily think we can force the hobby in a direction that a few of us think it should go and that what was right in the past may not be right for where we are at in the hobby now. Overall are there too many classes? I think so. But you also have to ask yourself how many guys running Eurotruck on Sunday for an initial purchase of what - $200 or so would be running if they had to drop $1000 or more for a competitive touring car. My vote is that whatever gets people in the door and starting in the hobby is good for the hobby and we work to get them moving into more advanced classes once they're ready.

MD I agree - cost is a huge issue for TC. more 1/12 would help as its a little cheaper but we've never been able to grow 1/12 here. Tire truing just kills it for a lot of people new to the hobby. That's why vta is important. You can reduce chassis cost by getting a used one usually and use a less expensive speedo. Tires last longer, batteries last longer and its slow enough to get started. We can put new folks into a sportsman class and they can move up to vta at no cost
I love 1/12th scale, and by comparison my VTA and other TC's feel like turds. However, tires are the scary one with some guys running them one race and done. That combined with no truer at the track is a death sentence. I think both are easy to solve with some agreements among racers to not use more than one set of tires per race weekend, and having a community truer. I'd be willing to make a $50 donation towards paying for one if the track would be willing to dedicate the space. Hell, if I find an automatic one at a decent price I'll donate my RD logics truer for track use... Again, if this is something the guys at the track would be willing to set-up a spot for.

Who's with me, a save the 1/12th scale go fund me tire truer drive!!!