R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Which F1 for 2018?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 02:29 PM
robk
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LJH
Hello All,
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I would put this here.

I am a long time full scale F1 fan. I had a F201 with pretty much every Tamiya hot rod part on but it was stolen during a house burglary a number of years back. I am looking at getting another F1 chassis so I had some questions. I have always been a Tamiya fan for some reason....I think a lot of it has to do with the details they incorporate into their bodies or the fact that I have been building their kits since the early '80's.

The chances of me getting into serious racing is slim, though I just sustained a life changing injury which will preclude me from being as active as I was in a lot of my other hobbies so maybe RC racing may be a good way to spend some of my new found time. When I am not racing I run my road cars on a double tennis court that is not prepared.

I see Tamiya is "blowing out" The TRF101 for $200.00 which seems like a bargain and the car got great reviews back in the day. I did some looking around and it seems parts support is pretty decent but for how long.

Just looking for some guidance in what kit that is around the $200 mark would make sense. I tend to run my cars a lot during the warmer months (2-4 packs a day) so looking for something that is durable with good parts support. With that said I am OK having to order parts instead of picking them up at the LHS.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Jim
If you want a car that will have a chance to work outside on an unprepared surface, the F104 or the F104 pro II would be good to look at. They are T bar cars, which tend to be a little easier to get working when traction is low. Link cars can be harder to hook up.

Of course, if there is no surface prep, any F1 will not be easy to drive.