R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Am I Crazy to Want the New Erevo?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 AM
Overdriven
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

R2.0 (xirton, I like this designation for the new truck, good job) bulkheads are brand new. For those who haven’t looked through pics they’re still 2 pieces but are now a top and a bottom. There is no longer a diff case, the bulkheads hold the diff similar to a 1/8 buggy/truggy. Getting rid of the diff case alone grants them room for a larger ring gear. With the seam now horizontal instead of vertical they can make the top and bottom thinner around the ring gear without sacrificing strength in the more critical bearing areas. I have no doubt the ring gear is XMaxx size.

As for swapping real XMaxx gears into the R2.0, that we’ll have to wait and see. Been looking at some pics, getting confused about what are original 6s XMaxx, what are upgraded, etc. Never paid much attention to the XMaxx but I think I got it straight now. The pinions are way too different and would require custom bulkheads to run in R2.0 truck. If the tooth count and gear pitch are the same (as the R2.0 pinion) it appears the ring gears will work as the diff cup appears the same to me. Plus the diff cup is a plastic part, there wouldn’t be any cost savings to downgrading that part, unlike the ring gear where they can shave some $ by using lower grade materials and manufacturing processes.

Last edited by Overdriven; 03-03-2018 at 07:01 PM.