R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - R1 Wurks brushless motors
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 AM
Antimullet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gmintimidator
I'm running a 17.5 v16 in 1/12 stock blinky. The track is 60x60 old gray carpet. I've been experimenting with the motor but not getting the results. Which rotor should be used? I have the 1750 plus the standard and what timing should I be using? The motor typically comes off at 130 area on an 85 rollout with 40deg of timing. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I don't think you are pulling enough amps to wake the beast.

This is how I set my R1's regardless of rotor. I set internal timing to 2.9a draw on an analyzer. Then I continue to add gear to the car until it:
1. Continues to get faster then falls off or fades then back it up a tooth.
2. Gets to about 160-170*F after an 8 minute run.

I am currently running a stock rotor V16 17.5 at 2.9a (I disregard the timing, but its normally at 43* internal) and it is geared at 95mm rollout on a 45x75mm track. It is a beast and is noticeably faster everywhere on the track with this setting. And they run hotter than normal around 160-170 but it performs the best here with near zero fade after 8 minutes...

Going to experiment with my other V16 I built with a 1750 rotor to see where that ends up in terms of lap times and temperatures...

Oh yea, with this track layout, with a 78 spur (*Yes that large) 57 pinion yielded the best performance tires a tad under 41.5mm. So right around 95.18mm rollout.

On your track I'd set 2.9 a, and start adding a tooth at a time to see if it continues to improve. If not, leave timing alone and start reducing gearing a tooth at a time to see if it improves.