R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - motor rotor question
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:25 AM
billdelong
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
i would just add that yes, shimming the rotor as close to the sensor board as possible is the way to get the most power. however, if you shim it too close and you flat land a big jump or your buggy takes a big tumble, if the rotor hits the sensor board, your run is over. i ran my monster max box stock and sure enough my sensor board took a dump. i can only assume the aforementioned scenario played out. unfortunately i was out of warranty (even though i had only run the motor probably 3 or 4 times) and trinity told me to pound salt when i contacted them. i bit the bullet and bought a new sensor board ($30) but i will never buy another trinity motor (or trinity product for that matter).
That's unfortunate you feel this way, they offer a 30 day warranty for manufacturer defects, I don't see it listed anywhere on their website anymore but I recall seeing somewhere that sensor boards have always been a common part to break and aren't covered under warranty regardless if within that 30 day period or not. Something about a driver should always have a spare sensor board as it's a consumable item. Hard to say who should be responsible for track side abuse... this has been an issue for years with many brands of ESC's too.... should it be the drivers responsibility to tune their cars and properly land on the back side of the landing ramps?

I digress, when you move on to the next brand and break a their sensor board, will you blame that brand for your driving skill too? Do you blame servo manufacturers for stripped servo gears as well?

FWIW, I will say that both of my MonsterMax motors needed an extra 0.2mm shim, if they weren't shimmed, I wouldn't be surprised if those sensor boards may have been damaged before now, but also not sure if shimming will prevent a sensor board from getting damaged (regardles of brand) if the crash is hard enough while on throttle... I try to hit the brake anytime my car loses control with hopes to minimize the chance of a break, albeit electronics or plastic, etc...