R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Buyer's Regret & Beginner Advice Needed - SZJJX RC Cars 1/18 4WD 12MPH+ 2.4Ghz
Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM
olds45512
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jp_over
Olds - those are great points that I didn't think about: drive-ability, parts availability, and durability. Are there any specific Traxxas models that are better for the youngster / beginner?

I also need to get some education on the main suppliers folks use.
I would suggest a 2wd Slash because the body covers the wheels and will take the brunt of the abuse, open wheel cars and trucks tend to get a lot of broken a-arms and bulkheads with a younger driver. I would avoid a 4wd model because more moving parts means more maintenance and will be more expensive to repair and upgrade. Another great option would be a Team Associated sc10. Once again the body will take most of the abuse and the suspension parts will be spared. My 7yr old son has been racing his sc10 for a year now and he's yet to break a single part and he's pretty hard on it. He also has an open wheel buggy which he has broken several times which is why i heavily suggest something with enclosed wheels.