R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Cen Collosus XT vs Traxxas Xmaxx 8s
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 07:37 AM
Steel_Rain
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by titansavage
Yea I’m leaning towards the xmaxx. I love the cen but the sheer size of it and it will be expensive but it’s the I think start up. What kind of batteries are you using? I’m brand new to electric. From what I understand. Certain batteries will give more speed and power? Is that accurate?

I really appreciate your guys input.
I hear ya.

In my opinion, the best choice for batteries are these guys:

SMC Racing

I'm running these in the X-Maxx:

True Spec Premium 14.8V 6700mAh 131Amps/90C

I also have a set of 4s 9200mah, but I don't see these on the SMC website anymore...strange.

As far as speed/power increases with "better" packs...eh. I think for the bashing crowd...this is debatable. Obviously, I'll tell you to get the best battery(s) you can afford. But anything over a 40c discharge rate, isn't something I can tell the difference with.

Will a 5 year old Traxxas 20c pack that's seen water preform worse then a brand new 60c SMC pack? Of course it will.

Counterpoint...will a $90 name brand (Dynamite Reaction) 4s 50c pack out perform a budget $50 (SMC) pack of the same discharge rate? My experience tells me it won't.

I'm by no means a racer, but I have experience on SCT and buggy tracks and in those cases were "bursts" of consistent speed win races, then yes, I can see why you would want a 100c+ discharge pack that's very expensive and reliable.

Bashing? Not so much. I ran my eRevo on 5+ year old 30c lipo's for several years and when I switched to new, SMC packs, I could tell a difference. For EVERYTHING else I've run (surface RC's, planes are a different animal), I cannot tell a difference in 40c+ or higher packs.

Hope that helps.