R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Kyosho Inferno MP9 TKI4 1/8 Buggy Kit
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 05:03 PM
30Tooth
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gabor szilagyi
Hello everyone!I just got back into the hobby after 6 years off!I had a TKi2 when I quit!Really loved it!I also read a lot of good things about the TK3 while during my off!So few months ago I decided to get Kyosho again to start with!Went and I got a TKI4 Nitro roller and a TKI4E .Had fun building it!I put a setup what the factory suggested!Beside I am very rusty both buggy felt very hard to drive so I decided changing setups!Took away steering ,went up on diff fluid (5-5-7) etc etc did help a little bit but still not where I want to be!Buggy still feels a little hard to drive!It’s just not the same forgiving as the TKi2 was!The gas mileage is bad too!OS speed with 2090 pipe max 8:30min.Same engine setup tuned by same guy on a different brand buggy gets 10:00min....But than few friends telling me to not chew myself up because Kyosho really moved to the wrong direction with the TKI4!Its totally different than a TKI3 what everyone loved!My response was than how come the Nationals won by this buggy than?They say bc the guy actually ran the TKI3 not the TKI4!
They also said (this is Ppl who actually good local racers and tried the TKI4) if I keep the TKI4 I gonna always wrenching and chasing setups all the time!Which I am not really happy about!
Question:-what’s the deal with the fuel mileage?Is it true to get worse with this buggy?
-was TKI3 really a better buggy?
-did the Nationals really won with TKI3?
Don’t bite my head off!
Looking for constructive answer!I am not here to bash Kyosho!Just want to clear the water!
Disclaimer - I'm going to be blunt, nothing against you sir.

The TKI3 wasn't better than the TKI4, the TKI4 was a step in the good direction only thing I don't like are the stock pistons being the same front and rear, they shouldn't be because of how the shocks are mounted. Setup skills are scarce amongst pros, not that I'm a setup god but i know a thing or two. That being said, I've spent 30 minutes every day of this week at the track perfecting my setup. And I did perfect it and learned some things.
First, the stock setup is aimed at giving lots of corner entry steering, too much actually and the front loses grip too fast. To tune this use the HT-LR V5 setup I'm going to put on the wiki above this page. Really the biggest difference between the 3 and the 4 is that you can't run 11 degrees of kick up on the 4 stock, period. Second, if runtime is an issue the problem is from your driving or building skills, sorry to say this but here's a tip, if you want to increase runtime use the throttle sparingly. Hold off throttle as much as you can, brake deep into the corners (not before) and power once you finished the corner, not sooner. Will take time to master this technique called trail braking but 100% worth it.

Originally Posted by rcmoe
You also might want to use the TKI3 steering knuckles. And if you want even a smoother steering feel, try the 16 degree aluminum c-hubs. Or if you don’t want to spend the coin on those, try the 17.5 degree plastic. There’s not a major difference in driving feel between the TKI3 and 4 other then a couple option parts that changes the feel.
Sir allow me to disagree with you regarding the need to buy TKI3 knuckles. The 17.5* caster blocks are inexpensive and good to have on hand, other than that nothing is really needed maybe 8 hole pistons but definitely not the TKI3 knuckles IMO.

Originally Posted by am
TKI3 knuckles gives you more steering than the TKI4 knuckles because of the different ackerman. The easy car to drive is the TKI4 With TKI3 B-plate
I have both cars and the steering angle isn't different without using tools to measure, only the bump steer because of the kick up change. BTW the bump steer curve is more consistent on the TKI4. I think that's the reason most feel the 3 has better steering when it really doesn't, it's just the the 4 doesn't shine as good as it can.

Originally Posted by gabor szilagyi
Which pills you using on the TKI3 b plate?Also what pills you using on the other plates?
Thx!
You already have the pills why not try more kick up on your car? Dot up and in on the A plate

Originally Posted by STLNLST
I just won a race where I got 11min on my final pit running a Triton L3. I never ran a TKI3 but I don't feel the TKI4 is behind by any means. One thing I made sure not to do just yet was go to the TKI3 front pieces until I was totally comfortable with all stock TKI4 parts. Chasing that 10min fuel window will eat at you. I get 10+ minutes all the time while practicing but could get the same mileage in the main. Maybe I don't push it as hard in practice as I do in the main or if I crash I gas it while on my lid so that the marshal see's me. It can be a number of things that add to the reason of less mileage. I love this car compared to all that I came into Nitro just a little over a year ago. TLR 3.0, MBX7R, D815, TKI4.....AKA HAPPINESS
So are you using the stock TKI4 parts yet?

----//-----

About the testing I've made during this week, I wanted to see why the TKI3 parts were used. Using my TKI3 as the test mule:
- A spec setup, easy to drive but slow. Why? The front end is numb but the grip balance is good, while having lower grip than the setup I ended using today.
- less kick up. Very good change, the front end had more grip on braking and acceleration transients.
- longer front upper arm so it has the same length as the rear, major change! Everything went bananas, almost no steering into the corner and too much exit.
- orange rear springs, consistent but not better overall.
- HRC D plate bushing, small change.
- 2.5mm front roll bar not good, too stiff.
- 2.3mm rear roll bar with 2.5mm front roll bar, not good.
- 2.3/2.3, meh. (want to try 2.5/2.5).
- 2.3mm front roll bar with 2.5mm rear roll bar (stock), a bit better.
- #2 hole on the rear shock tower, everything better. Tears of joy, champagne for everyone and fireworks. Front grip, rear grip and corner speed was better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LR HT v5.jpg
Views:	1793
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	1454449  

Last edited by 30Tooth; 12-20-2017 at 04:27 PM.