R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Help with Rustler / Slash gearbox (stripping gears)
Old 12-11-2017, 05:25 PM
smirkracing
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinatfms
Ill guarantee your slipper is too tight. The Tenshock motors are a ton of power to be sending straight through with a fully tightened slipper. Even on the stock VXL system you will shred gears with the slipper at full tight. Landing at full power on a tight slipper and all that oomph has to go somewhere and something is going to bend/break.

Also, shim per the Traxxas directions. No need for any extra shims in the Traxxas style cases.
Kevin, thanks! I was worried about the motor being *too* powerful (2000 watts peak) so I turned down the torque (using that castle feature for torque control) to about 40%, which is probably a little below an average brushless system.

The damage in this thread was from a simple pavement test, no jumps, no major shocks to the system.

I think I might have found the problem:

Drive pin cut from a drill bit - a bit too long, and perhaps causing idler gear teeth to skip.

I did switch from the "roll pin" that is stock with the top gear shaft to this drill bit solution only recently, and that is when the problem really got bad. Before that, it was probably having the slipper too tight and landing on-power.

On a side note, is the traxxas slipper fundamentally a poor design compared to slippers that have pads on both sides? I have a very hard time getting it just right.