R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Syxxstring
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
There is ZERO difference in the handling of any of the bodies. That is one of the great things about this class. Pick a style you like and go with it. There are options for just about every American Miscle guy out there.

The only difference that MIGHT be noticeable to good drivers is the weight. Some are lighter than others. This allows for more weight to be put lower on the chassis for a lower CG. Again this is a big MIGHT, and only to drivers that are very consistent.

I don’t mean this to be rude, but if you are asking what is the “best” for anything (bodies, motor, ESC, battery, chassis) in USVTA then you are missing the point of the class. Yes everyone wants to have a fast, well handling car and be a winner. But if you are wanting to race for the win with “the best” equipment out there, then that is not what USVTA Racing is about.
Didn't mean to open a can of worms...
I had the challenger and cuda and while they looked great, they were much harder to drive for me than the Hpi or Protoform Mustang. Im not looking for the body that will gain me 10ths just don't want to waste 30 bucks and time painting a body that doesn't work. If asked I would tell someone to avoid the HPI Challenger and Cuda based on my experience in the class.

Its probably my favorite on road class ever. One of the aspects I enjoy is my lack of high end equipment. I just put out the big money for a TA07 Pro, otherwise its a regular charger, used eBay Motiv Motor, $30 Trinity VTA pack, Hobbywing V1 Juststock, and used Futaba 4pks. Before my chassis change I ran a Spec-R S2, I loved racing a $99 chassis, but the TA07 was a giant step up for my driving and parts are getting harder to find for the S2.

I didnt find on our carpet any advantage from the HPI to PF tires but my HPI's were so old they had holes worn in them. For club racing I don't care what people run as long as they were once legal. For a big event I think hand out motor and tires would be key. I think the Roar list of 25.5's limits the classes growth here since so many used motors are excluded.

I think the lack of the non american bodies does limit our growth here also. People would love to run so of the european and jdm cars that raced the series, corvette options would be good too. I'd run a 510 but it would be weird as the same sized car as a mustang or challenger (length,wheelbase, and width are 10% smaller between a mustang and 510). My dream would be a Ford Falcon but I've been told that the market isnt big enough...

I really would like to see this class come to the IIC since a vacation to the VTA nats is not likely and more than a 12 mile drive.