R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ceramic Thrust Bearings
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 06:59 AM
Roelof
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ralphierace13
It's too much heat on the outer bearing I had it fail on me the outer bearing cause of the heat, buy a ceramic brake pad of a real car it's not thst expensive and u can make your own. Y can't u use just one brass piece as thick as all 3 washers?
One brass piece will not work because there is a rotating part and a non rotating part and that needs a sliding part in between. Clutchbearings do fail from time to time, I have 25 cent 5x10x4 bearings so I can replace them as often as I want (and still try to use them as long as possible...).
More heat is made with a clutch with some slip than with the brass ring. Most important with the normal bearings is that you have to lube them from time to time, a thinge many people forget.

I do not think ceramic brakepads will work because brakepads are not made to have a low friction But we have figured out that steel plates with a DLC coating and a creamic based brass must give the right setup for a good ball less thrustbearing. By the way, google to "thrust washer" and your eyes will be opened.