R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Thunder Trail
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by djgrom
Are the XRAY washers better then the ones that are included in the Tuning kit bag included in the 3.0 kit? I only found the bag after doing most of the assembly. I am realizing I am kind of dissapointed in the instructions for the truck. They make absolutely zero mention of putting diff washers in, and has zero guidance on what to do with some of the things in the "tuning bag"

Has anyone else felt like the gear box cases were made of really cheap plastic? Maybe it is because I just finished building my mugen GT car, but these gear box cases felt like plastic that is on a tamiya 100 dollar kit, actually it felt cheaper then that and it looked poorly molded. I got this kit over the techno because all my research indicated it was really high quality and suited my driving still more then the Tekno would, even though that too is a really good kit.

What pinion do most of you run? I picked up a 14t and hope that is okay. I am going to be racing on a tighter track then a big wide open one. I am also really really impressed with the hobby wing motor and ESC I got. I have only recently gotten into racing and have been using castle motors or novak motors in my on road cars. So when I got the hobby wing 3660 motor I expected it to be really tight to turn and kind of feel like it bumped hard between each turn, but instead WOW it turns buttery smooth with zero resistance. Maybe it is time to start looking at getting better motor and ESC's for my on road race cars as well. This is going to be my first off road race truck that isn't a 2wd slash, which I did win sportsman class with consistently last winter and kind of inspired me to try this offroad racing thing out pretty seriously this winter.

Can anyone think of any other suggestions? And for the guy who said I was doing something wrong I would be more than happy to provide pictures for you just as a point of pride.
You are 100% right. There are no instructions for the shims, motor plate or Akerman option. This is an advanced RC. When you buy a kit such as this TLR assumes you are an experienced racer and have an advanced RC skill set. It is a great truck, but you need a good mechanical understanding to get the most from it. Just read the forums, ask questions and and you will get this rig turning fast laps in no time. I do encourage you to seek out advice and help from locals that are racing the same platform if possible.

The X-Ray diff washers replace the Losi washers inside the diff. The diff being the case that holds diff fluid. The diff shims you see in the parts bag are only used to shim the ring and pinion gear inside the gear box. They go on the side of the smaller diff case inside the gear box. These are used to adjust gear mesh of the ring and pinion. The internal Losi diff washers just don't last that long for me. You are fine to run it until you change diff fluid or rebuild the truck later on, say 50 to 100 lipos. Then you will be able to see the condition of these parts first hand and remember there is something better.

The 14-15T pinion gears are all I ever use. You should be fine with the 14t on the 4300kv motor. Nothing wrong with HW. They have some great stuff that fits into the race budget better than Tekin. Tekin is top of the line and priced accordingly. That doesn't mean you can't do just as well with HW or Castle.

Feel free to send me any questions in a PM if you rather not post for everyone to comment. They are trying to help, but we don't see many questions from new RC guys on a truck like this.

Go make some laps with that rig and let me know if I can help with questions about anything RC.